DO YOU KNOW the difference between butter and margarine?
They both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams, so what gives?
Here are a few facts about butter you might find interesting…
Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
- Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has few to none, and only because they are added!
- Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.
- Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.
According to a Harvard Medical Study, eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% verses eating the same amount of butter.
And now for a few facts about margarine…
1. Very high intrans fatty acids
2. Triples risk of coronary heart disease
3. Increases total cholesterol and LDL (the bad cholesterol)
4. Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
5. Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold
6. Lowers quality of a mother’s breast milk
7. Decreases immune system response
8. Decreases insulin response
And Here Is The Part That Is Very Interesting!
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC!!
This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated, (hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). Try this yourself at home… place a tub of margarine in your garage or shaded area and check it in a few days. You will notice a couple of things: no flies, not even teeny weenie micro-organisms will go near it and it does not rot or smell because it has no nutritional value.
So I ask you, would you melt your Tupperware and spread it on your toast?